Things to do nearby
Come and explore this corner of rural Gateshead and nearby County Durham
On the doorstep...
- Birkheads Secret Garden - 5 acres of gardens with cafe and rare plant nursery. Our neighbours Christine and Mick will give you a warm welcome, and if you don't fancy camp cooking or making up a packed lunch, their cakes and pies will keep you going on a long walk! www.birkheadssecretgardens.co.uk
- Tanfield Railway - laying claim to being "the world's oldest railway" this preserved steam railway is a great day out for both families and history buffs. It is just under a mile (and a lovely accessible walk) down the Bowes Railway Path from Birkheads Wild. Check their website for timetables, event details and opening times www.tanfield-railway.co.uk
- Birkheads Fairy Folk - encourage little legs on a walk by searching out the fairy doors along the Bowes Railway Path between Tanfield Railway and Birkheads. The fairies have told us that they love it when you leave something shiny as a gift for them, and they don't like anyone who drops litter or who doesn't clean up their dog's poo. #birkheadsfairyfolk
Just down the road
- Beamish Museum - experience a real sense of our history at the living museum of the north which is just 3 miles away. Set in 300 acres of the County Durham countryside, you can lose yourself in the past for a day or more at Beamish www.beamish.org.uk
- Causey Arch - grid reference NZ 205561the worlds oldest surviving single arch railway bridge is under 2 miles away. You can walk there from site and also explore the nearby Causey Gill woodlands following in the footsteps of the railway pioneers of the 18th century. There are public toilets in the Causey Arch car park off the A6076 and the Causey Arch Tea Room just beyond the car park served a mean fry up and amazing cakes.
- Beamish Hall Stables - one of our faves! A stunning 2 mile walk through ancient and new woodland from our site, down to this lovely bar, restaurant, microbrewery in a converted 18th century stable block of the main Hall and with a great playground for the kids too. Get us to show you the best route there - or better still let us guide you so you don't even have to get the map out! www.beamish-hall.co.uk